Blog & Podcast

The aim of this space is to discuss the issues that we face as a community with an eye toward advocacy.

Those wishing to contribute should email laura@childfreenews.com .

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The New Environmentalism

In light of the recent article in the Globe and Mail article, (see commentary on Childfree News) and Kugel's recent blog entry, I thought that it was about time we start talking about this. Perhaps as the new issue.

Now I should admit right off, I do not expect any progress on this issue. At least not yet. Instead, I think our next goal should simply to put the issue out there so that people can get used to it. It is uncomfortable for many, on both sides.

The right wing will write us off, because many of them are not keen on environmentalism to begin with. Therefore, they have all the more reason to dismiss an idea that uses environmental ideals to clash with some of their sacred values, such as "family" and opposition to birth control (and immigration, but more on that later)

Those who are environmentalists will not just oppose this idea logically, like their conservative counterparts. It will be deeply offensive to many, because it is, in essence, calling them hypocrites. It is telling them that to faithfully and fully live the life they profess to, they will have to give up something very dear to them. They will have to change more than their car, do more than install a solar panel on their house. The most profound thing you can do for the environment is also the greatest sacrifice.

It will also offend parents, because it hits at an emotional level. While they cheer Gore's statistics on overpopulation, their peace of mind relies on not connecting those facts with the son or daughter they love so dearly. They do not want to acknowledge that their child is part of the problem. Of course, their child is no more of a problem than you or I - once we are here, there is nothing to be done. But since they were the ones who made the conscious decision to bring that person into the world, it may well attach a sense of guilt. It may be over and done with, but it remains something they could have done differently. The fact that it was the wrong for the planet pits a human who they adore against ideals they are committed to. That is going to make people very uncomfortable.

This applies, to a lesser extent, to environmentalist who is planning to have children. Their desire to have a child may be deeply ingrained. It may spring from an emotional attachment to their spouse. Or it may be something they want so badly that they are emotionally attached to that decision, that future person.

The idea that creating a biological offspring is one of the worst things one can do to the planet will not go over easy. We will have harsh attacks launched against us by both sides. By very angry people. They will remain attached to their self-image as Earth Mother when they sport a bump. They will continue spurting their idea that their child will save the planet. That the children are the point of environmentalism. (I address these issues in my other blog, but will deal with them more at length in an essay soon)

We will not change their minds any time soon.

What we can do is get the idea out there. Make it infiltrate the subconscious. Make them start launching logical attacks on it. For those who had never made the connection, they may well hear the flaws in their reasoning. It will nudge the door open, just a crack, for these ideas when the world is ready.

In the meantime, get ready for an uphill battle. Get ready to feel like Ann Coulter crashing the Democratic Convention after-party.

Then in a dozen years or so, when the idea is not so new, we can begin a real dialog. And maybe people will be ready to listen.

Technorati Tag:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could say truthfully that my intentions were so high when we eventually decided to remain childfree. My husband is more in this nop-population growth court than me. He was more confident in the decision to be childfree; comfortable with it long before I was.

All the same, I am glad that our decision is earth-friendly, even proud of it; however, it is not the reason for our mutual decision entirely.

I have a close family member who had our "kids" for us. She thinks that's what we are here to do, interestingly. I couldn't disagree more on that point, though as women it is our biological construct.

This same family member hangs all her laundry out to dry on a line, the old fashioned way. Is she saving the earth, and conserving energy less energy than her Orange County counterparts? Yes. Was that her intention? Perhaps. And perhaps she is just trying to save on her energy bill.

Loretta Marie said...

I feel that most people I talk to try to convince me to be a parent and I say I am I have had well over 10 children all my life Cats!! I Have 4 of them now,
I was glad I was not the only person feeling this way, after many times people ask why don't you adopt I would say, No I do not want to adopt I dont want any, does everyone have to have kids? WHY can I be happy for who I am? I like kids but not for me, I hate whining and selfish little brats telling me what to do, I am a happy loving married woman with 4 cats, and they are my life, I rather have cats overall than whining spoiled rotten kids who do not appreciate a family who would love them unconditonally. I feel that I grew up with lots of kids around our house but i felt that after somthings happened to me and i had no control over and that caused me to be childless. Medical conditon that caused me to be sterile. not my choice theirs.
But overall i feel that i am glad you posted somthing here for US to say, I found you at Sptimes in Fl and looking for some friends.

I felt that after most friends have kids I did not want to be around most of them anyways.so I let it go... Looking for childless couples meetup groups know any? thanks

I am a self employed happy person children donot make me whole, My God makes me whole and I am doing what I love best.
Loretta

Loretta Marie said...

I was glad I was not the only person feeling this way, after many times people ask why don't you adopt I would say, No I do not want to adopt I dont want any, does everyone have to have kids? WHY can I be happy for who I am? I like kids but not for me, I hate whining and selfish little brats telling me what to do, I am a happy loving married woman with 4 cats, and they are my life, I rather have cats overall than whining spoiled rotten kids who do not appreciate a family who would love them unconditonally. I feel that I grew up with lots of kids around our house but i felt that after somthings happened to me and i had no control over and that caused me to be childless. Medical conditon that caused me to be sterile. not my choice theirs.
But overall i feel that i am glad you posted somthing here for US to say, I found you at Sptimes in Fl and looking for some friends.

I felt that after most friends have kids I did not want to be around most of them anyways.so I let it go... Looking for childless couples meetup groups know any? thanks

I am a self employed happy person children donot make me whole, My God makes me whole and I am doing what I love best.
Panelle

Anonymous said...

Wow. I can only say that as far as the community of people who are giving and loving go, we're quite happy to hear that people as selfish as you choose not to procreate. It's the new natural selection. So, by all means hold onto your dreams and stand strong, and please don't pass your selfish views down to your spawn. You all seem to be so happy that you've raised cats....lol This is the type of stuff that lets all of us know you're self involved wannabes. Comparing cats to children is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard-I've raised both and have cared for many generations of a particular feline family. I'm also someone who didnt choose to breed until I had everything I needed and had done all that I wished to do in life, and then wanted to give it to my children. You know, a responsible breeder, there aren't many out there, but that's what "I" wanted from life. You look down your nose at people who have something to offer new generations whether it be DNA, personality, helpful viewpoints, open eyes...and you praise yourself for raising glorified rodents as if it compares at all. The reason you choose cats over children isn't because you're doing the world a favor (although you are)...it's merely because you are so incredibly selfish that the thought of giving love and attention and your finances to someone other than yourself makes you wanna cry. And someone demanding something from you freaks you out, because you can't ignore a child the way you can a cat. So yes, self involved whiny, crybabies, don't leak your creepy genes into our world anymore, we are a world of helpers and givers and we dont want what you're selling. Natural selection seems to be working out for all of us. WE are all quite glad that you're not breeding. The group you should be targeting if you actually wanted to make a difference that helps everyone (not JUST YOURSELF) would be to stop people from UNWANTED pregnancy. THAT's what the world needs. Or perhaps you could be a person who spends their life cleaning and farming or replenishing these lost resources. I mean you claim to care so much...but I guess sitting on your fat ass and feeding a bunch of rodents and praising yourself is more your style. LOL Scoop on...poop scooper

Anonymous said...

Just a thought (I wish you could hear my tone, which is not at all mean-spirited): If all the ethically intentioned, environmentally minded people in the world choose not to have children, who do we have left? It might wreak further havoc on the environment if the only ones around to make decisions are people who don't care about the environment.

L.T. said...

I'm sorry anonymous, are you under the impression that caring for the environment is a genetic condition? And that somehow overpopulation with the "right" people is the cure? That doesn't make sense at all.